Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus
Fall bike commuting offers the chance to enjoy cooler temperatures, view the changing colors of the leaves, and reinvigorate our spirits with the freedom riding a bike inspires. Bike riding isn't just for recreational fun, but can also promote sustainable business strategies. A Rodale Press survey found that Americans want to have the opportunity to bike to work instead of driving, with 40 percent of those surveyed saying they would commute by bike if safe facilities were available.
As explained in our eco friendly consulting, bike commuting to work is a valued component of a personal sustainability program. The post, Top 10 Benefits of Bicycle Commuting Programs for Businesses, explores the benefits to employers offering a bike commuting program. But what's in it for the employee? Not only does it improve heath, mood, and save money, it's a great way to reduce environmental impacts.
Let's get ready for fall bike commuting! Are you ready to get started and bike to work?
- View a list of the bare necessities required to get started bike commuting.
- Learn basic bicycle maintenance. Park Tool has excellent instructions for bicycle repair.
- What do you call a cyclist who doesn't wear a helmet? An organ donor. ~David Perry Wear a bike helmet.
- Invest in quality bike parts, cycling accessories, and clothing to make your commute safe, reliable, and enjoyable.
- Learn how to pick a good route. Google maps for cycling is a good option.
- Logistics. Figure out how you’re going to get yourself, your stuff, and your bike to and from your destination and stored safely.
- Leave Plenty of Time – Not just for cleaning up but also for contingencies.
- Be visible. Think Bright colors and reflective materials on you and your bike.
- Invest in a quality lock and use it wisely.
- Give yourself some time to adjust. Consider commuting once or twice a week until you adjust, then add an extra day the following week.
- Stay motivated and keep after it! The more you do it, the more you love it!
Why is all this important? As expressed in our sustainability consulting, bike commuting is a win-win for both businesses and individuals looking to reduce costs, embrace eco awareness, and adhere to business and personal sustainability programs. However, to take advantage of all the great things cycling offers, you have to actually get ON the bike and ride it! Having access to resources, tips, and a supportive environment makes it easier to enjoy cycling benefits.